Saturday, February 15, 2014

Bundle Up, We're Headed Inside...

Reality Check:
As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. 2 Samuel 22:31

And we have such trust through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, 2 Corinthians 3:4-5

True love always trusts.
Today’s post is a little longer but bear with me…
It’s ironic that I am writing about this today. (Of course by ironic, I mean Holy Spirit inspired- he knew what we would have to endure today!) This morning my heater was only blowing out warmish air. My first thought, “Oh great!”
 I was quietly reminded of a payment I just made. “You can trust me.”
The last trial payment for a modification, which is supposed to save our house. Thank God I have a home! Even with no heat, it’s still warmer than outside.  So I called my hubby, told him the predicament and bundled everybody up.
snow 3
Then the heater stopped working completely. “Dang it!” I took a deep breath and sighed. I posted a request on facebook for space heaters; we weren’t in a position to purchase one.
I was desperately trying not to get discouraged-after all, it wasn’t freezing and we were all ok. The thought of the cost and time to fix the heater was stressful. And the only way I could keep myself from worrying was to not think about it. A small whisper, “You can trust me.”
A few hours went by and the temp dropped quite a bit. Another sigh; I turned on the oven and opened its door. I also made a comfy spot in the kitchen to hang out to make sure no one got hurt from the open oven. (Side note- every time Zeke walked by it, he’d say “hot”, and push it closed.) Thankfully we have a pretty comfy and spacious kitchen.  However, I agonized over the purchase of space heaters and bill for fixing the real heater. Does God do healing miracles on heaters? I seriously was wondering that.
Like it often happens, my sister came to my rescue, and her father-in-law brought us a space heater. It was one of those nice rotating ones-perfect! “You can trust me.”
Then a friend offered one, so I called my father-in-law to see if he could pick it up. He decided to come by instead.
I had already checked the breakers, reset the system, changed the batteries in the thermostat and turned everything off and then back on- I figured it couldn’t hurt that’s what I do with my computer. None of it worked.
He came by, checked the breakers, reset the system, changed the batteries in the thermostat and turned everything off and then back on. But this time it worked. Does God do healing miracles on heaters? Hmmm….I think he does!
The point is, today I had to remind myself constantly that it was okay, despite the job loss, despite the heater going out- I can trust God.
For the last few years we have been battling saving our home. For almost 1 ½ years, I lived in agony. I wanted to trust God, but the fear and worry consumed me. I finally let it go, and I mean I actually let it go. (Unlike the year leading up to this, I would state that God could have it- but I didn’t actually release it.).
What was different? I trusted God. I accepted the fact that we might lose our home, and that was ok. I trusted that what God had in store for provisions, would be good. I realized that whether I lived in a small cramped apartment, a rental, a trailer, my Grams, or in the wonderful home we are currently blessed with- that God would provide and that I could TRUST him. It didn’t matter if it was my fault or not that we were in this position, because God cleanses us through the blood (forgiveness) and we have no reason not to trust him. (Although I don’t think it was our fault, or at least not something we did “wrong”.)
redneck space heaterYou’re probably thinking that I must have been able to save my home and that’s why everything is ok. But I don’t actually know yet. We just made our last trial payment and technically that should mean we are good…but we did this once before. We made all of our trial payments, on time and exactly how we were supposed to do it and then they said, oops sorry, we can’t help you. So we will see.
We don’t know what God has in store for my husband’s job/ future career, but we know we can trust him.
We don’t know if we will keep this house or have to move on, but we know we can trust him.
We don’t know if ___________________, but we know that true love always trusts and we can ALWAYS trust God!
Practice: Today is the same as yesterday’s family activity, because knowing our God allows us to know that we can trust him. You wouldn’t trust a stranger…so don’t let God be a stranger!
Family Practice: Have your child stand in front of you (arms crossed, with their back to you). Ask them if they think you would let them fall. Hopefully the answer is no. Let them experience trusting you by catching them when they fall back. Explain that this is like God, his plans are perfect for us and if we trust him, he will not fail us! Psalm 9:10
What do you struggle trusting God on? If you share, I will be sure to join you in prayer! (And maybe my visitors will too! -hint, hint ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment