Saturday, February 15, 2014

Learning Patience Can Be "Ruff"

Reality Check:
Day 2

“Love is patient, love is kind…” 1 Corinthians 13:4
Did you start today with love? If not, how about starting the day over right now!
With God it’s never too late.
patience
I noticed recently that the definition of love from 1 Corinthians begins with patience. Why do you think that is? As a mother and a wife, I don’t have to think about that for long. God is extremely patient- that’s why it’s never too late to start over. As a mom, I am ever thankful for the reset button. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve cringed after responding without love to my children or husband. I hate to even admit it, but some moments I am so overwhelmed, that I don’t stop and try to change my attitude. I think I’m justified…but in my heart, where the Holy Spirit resides, I know that I am wrong. Thankfully, God is love. And that means he is patient with me as I learn to respond with love in ALL situations!
reset 
Practice: Practice patience, by pretending to be patient. It sounds silly but it works. When I want to say something badly, but know I shouldn’t- I literally bite my lip to keep from opening my mouth. Having patience has a lot to do with self-control; biting my lip helps me control my urge to talk. By pretending you are a patient person, you inadvertently learn to control your reactions.
Family Activity: Dominoes is an activity that needs great patience. As you carefully set up a row of Dominoes talk about how waiting (in expectation, with a good attitude), brings about good things. Give examples on how a lack of patience can hinder good things. For example knocking down 5 Dominoes is not as much fun as 50.
Share with us what you do to practice patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment